Easy Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole is a classic and comforting side dish that’s great with a weeknight meal or holiday buffet.
I just have to share my family’s recipe for classic cheesy broccoli rice casserole that I’ve been eating since as long as I can remember. It’s one of those side dishes that my grandma always made for holidays and family gatherings and that my mom would make as an easy side dish for a weeknight dinner.
It’s just downright delicious! Rice and broccoli are combined with a creamy cheese sauce then covered in more cheese and crushed potato chips before being baked to casserole heaven…
You could even add chopped chicken to it and call it a meal in itself. Otherwise, we serve it alongside some meat and a big green salad.
It’s one of those go-to casseroles that I know everyone will enjoy, especially my boys. They gobble it up like they’ve never been fed before and usually beg for seconds.
So if you’re looking for an easy weeknight side dish or a great casserole to take to a potluck or holiday get-together, you can’t go wrong with this cheesy broccoli rice casserole. Enjoy!
- 1-1/2 cups quick cooking white rice (about 4 cups cooked)
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 4 cups fresh broccoli, large stems removed and broken into small pieces
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces processed American cheese, divided (such as Velveeta)
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup crushed potato chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and broccoli and cook until onion is transparent. Add soup, 4 ounces cheese and milk. Stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and stir in cooked rice. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 8x8-inch casserole dish. Crumble remaining 4 ounces cheese over the top of the mixture and then sprinkle with the crushed potato chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes until cheese on top is melted and casserole is bubbly.