Easy Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole is a classic and comforting side dish that’s great with a weeknight meal or holiday buffet.
The Southern Hospitality of Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole
I just have to share my family’s recipe for classic cheesy broccoli rice casserole that I’ve been eating since as long as I can remember. It’s one of those side dishes that my grandma always made for holidays and family gatherings and that my mom would make as an easy side dish for a weeknight dinner. It’s definitely a flavor memory for me!
This casserole is just downright delicious! Rice (you can use white rice or long grain rice — it’s up to you!) and broccoli are combined with a creamy cheese sauce then covered in more cheese and crushed potato chips before being baked to casserole heaven… I use processed cheese to make it extra creamy, but I’ve had it with cheddar cheese (or even sharp cheddar cheese) and it was just as delicious.
And It’s Flexible!
Some folks cook their rice in chicken broth for extra flavor. You could even add chopped chicken to it and call it a meal in itself. Protein? Check! Vegetables? Check! Whole grains? Check! Look at you go! Otherwise, we serve it alongside some meat (think pork chops or bbq. I mean, ask anyone from the South. Broccoli casserole goes great with turkey dinner on Thanksgiving!) and a big green salad. This easy broccoli rice casserole is one of those go-to casseroles that I know everyone will enjoy, especially my boys. They gobble it up like they’ve never been fed before and usually beg for seconds.
How to Make Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole
Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook rice according to package directions.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and broccoli florets and cook until onion is transparent. Add soup, 4 ounces cheese and milk. Stir until cheese is melted. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and stir in cooked rice. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 8×8-inch casserole dish or baking dish. Shred or crumble remaining 4 ounces cheese over the top of the mixture and then sprinkle with the crushed potato chips.
Bake for 30 minutes until cheese on top is melted and casserole is bubbly. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container. If freezing, be sure let it cool completely before storing. This storage container set is my absolute favorite for food storage because it has various sizes for storing different amounts in the fridge or freezer.
If you’re looking for an easy weeknight side dish or a great casserole to take to a potluck or holiday get-together, you can’t go wrong with this cheesy broccoli rice casserole. If you make this Easy Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole be sure to snap a picture and share it with me or tag me on Instagram @thebakermama so I can see. I love seeing how inspired and creative y’all get with the recipes I share. Enjoy!
Easy cheesy broccoli rice casserole is a classic and comforting side dish that’s great with a weeknight meal or holiday buffet.
- 1–1/2 cups quick cooking white rice (about 4 cups cooked)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 4 cups fresh broccoli, large stems removed and broken into small pieces
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces processed American cheese, divided (such as Velveeta)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup crushed potato chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and broccoli and cook until onion is transparent. Add soup, 4 ounces cheese and milk. Stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and stir in cooked rice. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 8×8-inch casserole dish. Shred or crumble remaining 4 ounces cheese over the top of the mixture and then sprinkle with the crushed potato chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes until cheese on top is melted and casserole is bubbly.
You could use a 10 ounce package of chopped frozen broccoli in place of the fresh broccoli, if desired.