One of our favorite weeknight meals, this easy cheesy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese can be on the dinner table in less than 30 minutes.
This is it, y’all! The dinner that’s always a winner! Easy, cheesy, and full of flavor, we make this mac & cheese at least once a week and it never ceases to satisfy.
One pot and less than 30 minutes is all it takes to have this tasty meal on the table for the whole family to enjoy…
It’s so creamy and dreamy and makes for great leftovers, if you’re lucky enough to have any!
I love using the large, thick cavatappi pasta because it’s easier for the boys to pick up with their forks and it withholds the thick cheese sauce so well, but feel free to use your family’s favorite pasta!
It’s not just our boys that love this mac & cheese, Brandon and I crave it all the time too! It’s great served as the main dish with a side salad or some veggies and also goes perfectly as a side dish to some barbequed meat.
With school back in session and football season upon us, I have a feeling this yummy mac & cheese will be making an appearance more and more over the next few months.
- 1 pound pasta (I used cavatappi)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder or garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- ¾ cup (6 ounces) American cheese, sliced or shredded
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large pot, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- In the same pot, melt the butter over medium heat and then whisk in the flour mixture, a little at a time, continuously whisking until the mixture is thick and starts to turn light brown, about a minute. Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to whisk until the mixture starts to thicken, about 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and add the cheeses, whisking until melted. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more milk. If the sauce is too thin, add some more cheese until of desired consistency.
- Stir in the cooked pasta until thoroughly coated. Serve and enjoy!
Products used to make this recipe:
(may include affiliate links)