With as many tasty toppings as your imagination can hold, this Mac & Cheese Board turns leftovers into a delicious DIY dinner dream. Everyone will love customizing their own bowl of creamy Mac & Cheese!
Build-Your-Own Mac & Cheese Bowl
We love a good build-your-own dinner board, y’all. Hot, fresh, and completely customizable. This Mac & Cheese Board is a great way to turn leftovers from a previous meal (think: chicken, bacon, broccoli, peas!) into another great meal. A warm bowl of Stovetop Macaroni & Cheese is like a blank canvas, just waiting to be turned into a delicious meal creation! The only limit is your imagination! I love watching my family build their mac & cheese bowls to their liking. You never know what creative concoctions will come out of it!
Make the Mac!
While I believe there’s a place in this world for blue box offerings, my Stovetop Macaroni & Cheese is easy, cheesy, and can be on the table in less than 30 minutes. It’s homemade, delicious and so simple, too.
Start by cooking the pasta in a large pot, according to package directions. Then drain and set aside. While the pasta is cooling, whisk together the flour, onion powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. In the same pot you cooked the pasta, melt the butter over medium heat and then whisk in the flour mixture, a little at a time, continuously whisking until the mixture is thick and starts to turn light brown (about one minute). Slowly whisk in the milk and continue whisking until the mixture starts to thicken (about 3 minutes). Turn the heat to low and add the cheeses, whisking until melted. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more milk. If the sauce is too thin, add some more cheese until of desired consistency. Stir in the cooked pasta until thoroughly coated.
Build the Board
First, fill small bowls with your topping ingredients. For toppings, I put some suggestions in the recipe card, but really, everything goes with macaroni and cheese, so the sky’s the limit! Place the small bowls around the outside of the board, saving room in the middle for the hot macaroni and cheese. When your Stovetop Mac & Cheese is ready, scoop it into a large bowl and place it in the center of the board.
Serve and enjoy with your family as everyone creates delicious bowls of mac & cheese!
That’s all there is to it, friends! I hope you’re inspired to make this Mac & Cheese Board for your family! It’s a perfect way to use up leftovers. Be sure to tag me on Instagram @thebakermama when you make it so I can see. I LOVE seeing your board creations!
With as many tasty toppings as your imagination can hold, this Mac & Cheese Board turns leftovers into a delicious DIY dinner dream.
- Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
- blue cheese
- red onion
- chicken nuggets
- hot dog slices
- pickled jalapeño
- barbecue sauce
- hot sauce
- shredded cheese
- Ritz cracker crumbs
- green onions
- shredded chicken
One of our favorite weeknight meals, this easy cheesy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese can be on the dinner table in less than 30 minutes.
- 1 pound pasta (I used cavatappi)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder or garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) American cheese, sliced or shredded
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large pot, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- In the same pot, melt the butter over medium heat and then whisk in the flour mixture, a little at a time, continuously whisking until the mixture is thick and starts to turn light brown, about a minute. Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to whisk until the mixture starts to thicken, about 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and add the cheeses, whisking until melted. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more milk. If the sauce is too thin, add some more cheese until of desired consistency.
- Stir in the cooked pasta until thoroughly coated. Serve and enjoy!