One of our favorite weeknight meals, this easy cheesy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese can be on the dinner table in less than 30 minutes.
- 1 pound pasta (I used cavatappi)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder or garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) American cheese, sliced or shredded
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large pot, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- In the same pot, melt the butter over medium heat and then whisk in the flour mixture, a little at a time, continuously whisking until the mixture is thick and starts to turn light brown, about a minute. Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to whisk until the mixture starts to thicken, about 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and add the cheeses, whisking until melted. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more milk. If the sauce is too thin, add some more cheese until of desired consistency.
- Stir in the cooked pasta until thoroughly coated. Serve and enjoy!