This homemade take on Chick-fil-A’s Chicken Tortilla Soup tastes even better than the original and you can enjoy it year-round and even on Sundays!
A Bowl of Heaven
Have y’all tried Chick-fil-A’s chicken tortilla soup? I’m obsessed! It’s delicious. The only bummer is that it’s a seasonal menu item that they only sell during the winter months. Why, oh why?? I crave soup year-round and since I love their chicken tortilla soup so much, I had to come up with a homemade version before they take it off the menu again!
Watch Me Make Chick-Fil-A Chicken Tortilla Soup
Let me show you how easy and delicious it is to make this homemade version of my favorite soup!
Even Better Than the Original
It’s a hearty yet healthier soup, loaded with beans, veggies and chicken breast, and with the perfect blend of spices. I was on a mission to recreate its tastiness exactly, but guess what?! I’m pretty confident I made it even tastier. 🙂
And, depending on where you live in proximity to a Chick-fil-A, this homemade version might be quicker and easier to make than driving there to get it. Or at least it is for me, especially if I have all four kiddos in tow! It’s a one-pot wonder that can be ready to enjoy in about 20 minutes. I bet it would taste great in a slow cooker, too!
Accept No Substitutes (Except Maybe This One)
The creaminess of the soup comes from pureeing two cans of cannellini beans along with a can of cream-style corn instead of adding fatty cream, sour cream, or cream of “something” soup. This chicken tortilla soup recipe is packed with protein, fiber, flavor and, most importantly, comfort.
How to Make Homemade Chick-Fil-A Chicken Tortilla Soup
First, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion and minced garlic. Let saute for about 5 minutes until onions become translucent. Stir in cumin, oregano and salt.
Meanwhile, puree 2 cans of cannellini beans in a blender until smooth. Do not drain beans of liquid before blending.
Add pureed beans, remaining can of cannellini beans, 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chiles, cream-style corn, whole kernel corn, black beans, and shredded chicken to onion mixture in the pot (do not drain any cans of their liquid) Stir to combine. Let soup simmer over medium heat until heated all the way through. Add lime juice and season with salt to taste before serving. Serve with tortilla strips or tortilla chips and lime wedges, if you choose.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Since the boys always get chicken nuggets when we go to Chick-fil-A, they had never tried the yumminess that is their chicken tortilla soup. So when I recreated and perfected it at home, they quickly realized what they’ve been missing out on and why Mama is so excited to frequent Chick-fil-A in the winter months. 😉 They love my homemade version and now beg for it, especially with tortilla strips on top!
So get your soup on year-round and save yourself a trip through the drive-thru with this yummy chicken tortilla soup! If you make this Homemade Chick-Fil-A Chicken Tortilla Soup, be sure to snap a picture and share it with me or tag me on Instagram @thebakermama so I can see. I love seeing how inspired and creative y’all get with the recipes I share.
A homemade take on Chick-fil-A’s chicken tortilla soup that tastes even better than the original and that you can enjoy year-round and even on Sundays!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, separated
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies (such as Rotel)
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed from bones & shredded (about 4 cups)
- juice of 1 lime
- more salt to taste
- Tortilla strips or chips, for serving
- Heat canola oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion and minced garlic. Let saute for about 5 minutes until onions become translucent. Stir in cumin, oregano and salt.
- Meanwhile, puree 2 cans of cannellini beans in a blender until smooth. Do not drain beans of liquid before blending.
- Add pureed beans, remaining can of cannellini beans, 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, cream-style corn, whole kernel corn, black beans, and shredded chicken to onion mixture in pot. (Do not drain any cans of their liquid) Stir to combine. Let soup simmer over medium heat until heated all the way through. Add juice of 1 lime and season with salt to taste before serving. Serve with tortilla strips or chips.
Feel free to use just white meat from the rotisserie chicken and low sodium canned ingredients, if desired.