A homemade take on Chick-fil-A’s chicken tortilla soup that tastes even better than the original and that you can enjoy year-round and even on Sundays!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, separated
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies (such as Rotel)
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed from bones & shredded (about 4 cups)
- juice of 1 lime
- more salt to taste
- Tortilla strips or chips, for serving
- Heat canola oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion and minced garlic. Let saute for about 5 minutes until onions become translucent. Stir in cumin, oregano and salt.
- Meanwhile, puree 2 cans of cannellini beans in a blender until smooth. Do not drain beans of liquid before blending.
- Add pureed beans, remaining can of cannellini beans, 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, cream-style corn, whole kernel corn, black beans, and shredded chicken to onion mixture in pot. (Do not drain any cans of their liquid) Stir to combine. Let soup simmer over medium heat until heated all the way through. Add juice of 1 lime and season with salt to taste before serving. Serve with tortilla strips or chips.
Feel free to use just white meat from the rotisserie chicken and low sodium canned ingredients, if desired.