Super moist, extra chocolaty banana bread that’s made healthier with no oil, butter or granulated sugar. Chocolate lovers rejoice!
Welcome to another edition of my banana bread baking obsession. 🙂
Seriously, baking and eating banana bread never gets old. The possibilities are endless. From classic banana nut bread to that epic Nutella Swirled Banana Bread that will knock your socks off, I can always find a way to bake overripe bananas into a yummy loaf of bread.
Well, this chocolate banana bread recipe I’m sharing with you today is unbelievable…unbelievably moist, chocolaty and healthy! Yes, I said healthy!
Bananas, yogurt and milk come together to make the bread super moist without using any butter or oil and honey sweetens it perfectly without any other sugars or sweeteners. Cocoa powder and chocolate chips make it extra chocolaty. It tastes so incredible and indulgent, you’d never believe it was made healthier unless you’re the one baking it.
A slice of this bread will cure those chocolate cravings any time of the day. Breakfast, afternoon snack or late night treat…it’s so dang delicious!
Enjoy, my friends!
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup vanilla flavored greek yogurt
- ½ cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 large)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (plus more of garnishing, if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour a 9x5-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the yogurt, honey, egg and vanilla.
- Add half the flour mixture into the yogurt mixture and beat on low speed while slowly pouring in half the milk. Turn mixer off, scrap down the sides with a spatula then add remaining flour mixture to the bowl beating on low speed again while slowly pouring in the remaining milk. Batter will be thick. Stir in the mashed bananas until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared loaf pan. Press more chocolate chips into the top of the batter before baking, if desired. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan for about 20 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely and serve.