These soft Homemade Flour Tortillas will make your fiesta even more fantastic! Simple ingredients and easy to follow directions make quick work of this unbeatable homemade touch.
Simple and Simply Amazing
Homemade Flour Tortillas make any Mexican or Tex Mex meal more fabulous. Make tacos, quesadillas, or simply serve them hot with some butter. They’re absolutely delicious and so simple to make!
Fresh-Made and Fabulous
We just got back from a road trip to New Mexico. And boy, did we eat lots of Tex Mex and New Mexican food along the way! We couldn’t get enough.
Somewhere along the way, I realized something. What makes a Mexican meal complete for me is… homemade tortillas.
If the restaurant doesn’t have a window where you can watch them making homemade tortillas, then it’s not for me! I love it when they bring hot tortillas to your table with butter and honey. Fresh-made tortillas are the best!
Homemade Tortillas to Drool Over
As I was mapping out where to eat along our road trip, I got the strongest craving for homemade tortillas. Seeing all these pictures of homemade soft flour tortillas with melting butter and a drizzle of honey had me drooling. I was dying to make my own flour tortillas recipe!
So that’s what I did. And now I just love making flour tortillas from scratch! The taste is better than anything store bought. Making them is a fun experience for the whole family.
Psst! These tortillas perfect for making breakfast tacos! Even better, try a Build-Your-Own Breakfast Taco Board. With a tasty variety of toppings for everyone to build their own tacos, it’s and yummy way to start the day!
What Do I Need to Make Homemade Flour Tortillas?
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
- Vegetable or canola oil
- Warm milk or water
- Electric mixer
- Rolling pin or tortilla press
- Non-stick skillet or cast iron skillet
How to Make Homemade Flour Tortillas
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Switch to the paddle attachment. With the mixer on low speed, pour in the oil slowly until a crumbly mixture forms.
- Then slowly pour in the warm milk or water and let beat on low speed until just combined. Turn the mixer to medium speed and beat until dough is smooth and comes together.
- Divide dough into 15 balls and place on parchment paper. Cover dough balls with a damp towel and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball of dough into a thin circle (about 6-8 inches wide). Place back under the damp towel until ready to cook. Roll out all tortillas before starting to cook them. You could also use a tortilla press.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Place a single tortilla on the skillet. Let cook until bubbling (about 30 seconds). Flip and cook another 30 seconds.
- Cooked tortillas will be golden on both sides and have brown spots.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Transfer to a tortilla warmer or warm oven while you cook the remaining tortillas.
More Recipes for a Mexican Fiesta
Celebrate with festive flair with these great recipes for a Mexican Fiesta. Choose from dips to home-baked tortilla chips to nachos and even dessert tacos. Recipes include:
- The Best Blender Guacamole: Make guacamole in your blender in a matter of minutes. Seriously, this recipe is The Best Blender Guacamole you will ever eat!
- Grilled Corn Salsa: Grilled corn and roasted tomatoes come together is this fresh and flavorful Grilled Corn Salsa. It makes for such a great summer dip or side dish!
- Salted Dulce de Leche Brownies: These decadent brownies have a swirl of rich dulce de leche caramel and a generous sprinkle of sea salt. A sweet and salty dessert that’s hard to resist!
- 7-Layer Tacos: These festive 7-Layer Tacos are tasty tacos filled with everyone’s favorite 7-layer dip. They are sure to make your fiesta even more fabulous!
- Brandon’s Best House Margarita: Making a classic margarita s as easy as 1-2-3! Pour, shake, and strain your way to the most refreshing, flavorful margarita you don’t have to leave home for. Cheers!
How to Serve and Store Homemade Flour Tortillas
Serve warm or at room temperature.
You can store homemade tortillas at room temperature for several hours. Or store tortillas in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to a one week.
To freeze, allow to cool completely. Then place in an airtight container in freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator over night.
If you make these homemade flour tortillas, be sure to snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @thebakermama so I can see! I just love seeing how inspired and creative y’all get with the recipes I share. Enjoy!
Homemade soft Flour Tortillas that will make your fiesta even more fantastic!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup warm milk or water
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Switch to the paddle attachment, and with the mixer on low speed, slowly pour in the oil until a crumbly mixture forms. Then slowly pour in the warm milk or water and let beat on low speed until just combined. Turn the mixer to medium speed and beat until dough is smooth and comes together.
- Divide dough into 15 balls and place on parchment paper. Cover with a damp towel and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll each ball of dough into a thin circle about 6-8 inches wide. Place back under the damp towel until ready to cook. Roll out all tortillas before starting to cook them.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Place one tortilla at a time on the skillet and let cook until bubbling, about 30 seconds before flipping and letting cook another 30 seconds until golden on both sides. Transfer to a tortilla warmer or warm oven while you cook the remaining tortillas.