These festive & tasty Star Cookies would be the perfect ending to your 4th of July feast!
We’re heading up to Oklahoma to celebrate the holiday with my family. It’s sure to be a weekend filled with food, fireworks and fun. My mom called yesterday and asked if I’d make my Strawberry Peanut Butter Bars for our 4th of July dessert. She had just seen them on my blog and thought they would be the perfect finale to our patriotic feast. Well, I told her to hold her horses because I had a few patriotic treats up my sleeve that I was planning to post this week. She was intrigued and is probably calling me right now to ask if I can make these tasty little cookies as well!
And I will say, “Yes!”, because these cookies are truly tasty, easy to bake, and scream 4thof July!
When I say easy, I mean easy! There are only three ingredients in the cookies, followed by two ingredients in the icing, and two fruits to top them off. The buttery shortbread cookies hold the star shape perfectly with a nice crunch and a slight chew.
The icing is simple and sweet. And the fruit makes them super festive. How cute would these look on your 4th of July table?
These festive & tasty star cookies would be the perfect ending to your 4th of July feast!
- 1–1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 24 strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325°F. In a medium bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Form the mixture into 3 small balls and knead each one until smooth.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll a ball of dough to 1/2-inch thick. Use a star cookie cutter to cut into stars. Place them 1-inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake for 8-10 minutes until cookies are set. Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, blend the cream cheese and powdered sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Carefully spread icing evenly over each cooled cookie. Slice each strawberry slice in half and arrange on the cookies pointing outward. Place three blueberries in the center of each cookie.