Zucchini Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting is a deliciously sweet and moist cake that is a must have this summer!
I’m gonna get straight to it on this one, y’all! This zucchini cake is amazing! A must bake this summer while zucchini is in abundance!
We’re pretty much eating zucchini at every meal these days because it’s so cheap, fresh and nutritious! I shred it into pancakes for breakfast, cut it into sticks for dipping in hummus at lunch, grill it alongside chicken breasts for dinner, and of course, bake it into a yummy cake that we can eat for dessert all week long!
This cake is so moist from 2 packed cups of shredded zucchini and perfectly sweet from the rich cream cheese frosting. A hint of cinnamon in both the cake and frosting brings it to a whole new level of deliciousness that you just have to taste to believe!
Every single person I’ve served this cake to has immediately let out a long “mmmm” after their first bite and didn’t put their forks down until the last bite was gone! It’s that great!
Zucchini Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Dessert
Deliciously moist zucchini cake that’s covered in the most irresistible cinnamon-spiked cream cheese frosting!
- 2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted & slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons milk, if needed
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour a 9×13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the melted butter, oil and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until well combined. Slowly beat in the buttermilk and then the flour mixture. Fold in the shredded zucchini.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, beat the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth. Add the vanilla and cinnamon and beat until well combined. Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until well combined and frosting is thick yet spreadable. Add a tablespoon or two of milk if the frosting needs to be thinner for spreading over the cake.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
I HAD to come over after seeing your gorgeous instagram photo of this cake. It looks insanely moist ‘n fluffy, the perfect way to use up all the summer zucchini. And I could DRINK that cream cheese frosting. Heading over to print out your recipe from the Gold Medal Flour page!
The recipe does not state when to add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Should they be added after the butter milk, but before the zucchini? Thank you! This cake looks delicious. I can’t wait to try it!
Hi Jessica! Thanks so much for catching that. Yes, you’ll add it after the buttermilk. I just updated the recipe. Enjoy! 🙂