Deliciously moist zucchini cake that’s covered in the most irresistible cinnamon-spiked cream cheese frosting!
I’m gonna get straight to it on this one, y’all! This zucchini cake is amazing! A must bake this summer while zucchini is in abundance!
We’re pretty much eating zucchini at every meal these days because it’s so cheap, fresh and nutritious! I shred it into pancakes for breakfast, cut it into sticks for dipping in hummus at lunch, grill it alongside chicken breasts for dinner, and of course, bake it into a yummy cake that we can eat for dessert all week long!
This cake is so moist from 2 packed cups of shredded zucchini and perfectly sweet from the rich cream cheese frosting. A hint of cinnamon in both the cake and frosting brings it to a whole new level of deliciousness that you just have to taste to believe!
Every single person I’ve served this cake to has immediately let out a long “mmmm” after their first bite and didn’t put their forks down until the last bite was gone! It’s that great!
This recipe was created as part of my partnership with Gold Medal Flour however thoughts and opinions are certainly my own!
- 2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted & slightly cooled
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk, if needed
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the melted butter, oil and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until well combined. Slowly beat in the buttermilk and then the flour mixture. Fold in the shredded zucchini.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, beat the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth. Add the vanilla and cinnamon and beat until well combined. Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until well combined and frosting is thick yet spreadable. Add a tablespoon or two of milk if the frosting needs to be thinner for spreading over the cake.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.