Sloppy Joe Casserole is an easy twist on traditional sloppy joes that’s flavorful and delicious! The cheesy crust compliments the beefy tomato filling so well and makes for a quick and hearty weeknight dinner that the whole family will love!
It’s been a rainy few days here in Dallas and I’m not gonna lie, I kinda like it! It’s such a good excuse to lay low at home and fill ourselves with warm comforting food!
We started the week with this delicious Sloppy Joe Casserole and we all love it! The boys get such a kick out of me saying Sloppy Joe Casserole! Not sure if it’s the way I’m saying it or just the name Sloppy Joe, but they crack up every time! And in between laughs, they gobbled it up! Yay!!!
It’s an easy twist on traditional sloppy joes that is flavorful and delicious! The cheesy crust compliments the beefy tomato filling so well and makes for a quick and hearty weeknight dinner that the whole family will love!
I’ve already added it to our family dinner favorites list and I know you’ll be doing the same as soon as you make it!
Let me show you how easy it is to get this comforting casserole on the dinner table!
Serve and enjoy!
It’s an easy twist on traditional sloppy joes that’s flavorful and delicious!
- 1–1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1–1/3 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1–1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef until browned. Add the diced onion and bell pepper and let sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard and garlic salt. Add the tomato sauce and ketchup and stir until well combined. Let mixture simmer over low heat while you prepare the topping.
- For the topping, add the flour, baking powder and salt to a large bowl. Stir in the milk, melted butter, and eggs until well combined. Fold in the shredded cheese.
- Pour the meat mixture into a 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Spread the topping evenly over the meat mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is light golden brown.