Warm and comforting Chicken Noodle Casserole that’s easy and perfect for any night of the week!
This past week was pretty chilly here in Dallas so I took advantage of the opportunity to make one more warm and comforting meal before the Texas heat arrives. Because when it does arrives, the last thing you usually want to eat when it’s 100° outside is a hot meal.
I take that back! I would actually eat this Chicken Noodle Casserole anytime of year. It is so fresh and healthy yet still comforting and filling. We were all begging for more! It makes for such a great dinner because it’s a complete meal in itself that is so easy to prepare.
Here’s a glimpse of how to make it:
Warm and comforting chicken noodle casserole that’s easy and perfect for any night of the week!
- 2–1/2 cups dried whole wheat ribbon noodles
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 2–1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 6 white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until the mixture bubbles but does not brown. Slowly pour milk into flour mixture, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly, about 3 to 5 more minutes. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add peppers, mushrooms, onions, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook for about 7 minutes, or until mushrooms give up their liquid.
- In a large bowl or pot, add pasta, chicken, and sautéed vegetables and toss to combine. Pour reserved white sauce over and stir until mixture is completely coated. Season with 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix together panko bread crumbs and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle panko over evenly over top of casserole and bake for 25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Recipe adapted from Whole Foods.