Warm and comforting chicken noodle casserole that’s easy and perfect for any night of the week!
- 2–1/2 cups dried whole wheat ribbon noodles
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 2–1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 6 white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until the mixture bubbles but does not brown. Slowly pour milk into flour mixture, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly, about 3 to 5 more minutes. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add peppers, mushrooms, onions, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook for about 7 minutes, or until mushrooms give up their liquid.
- In a large bowl or pot, add pasta, chicken, and sautéed vegetables and toss to combine. Pour reserved white sauce over and stir until mixture is completely coated. Season with 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix together panko bread crumbs and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle panko over evenly over top of casserole and bake for 25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Recipe adapted from Whole Foods.