This Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Soup is a comforting soup that’s packed with fresh broccoli, shredded chicken and creamy cheese. It makes for the perfect dinner on a chilly night!
When it’s cold outside, I love eating soup for dinner, but it has to be hearty and meaty to make it on the menu in our house. Broccoli cheddar soup is one of my absolute favorites, but if I tried to serve it as our meal, my husband would think it was the appetizer and would be waiting for the main meat course to make its grand appearance. So I just throw in some chicken and we’ve got a soup dinner that’s a real winner.
We just couldn’t get enough of this Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Soup. It is so flavorful and packed with fresh broccoli, shredded chicken and creamy cheese. Feel free to leave out the chicken if your family is okay with meatless meals, but it does add lots of protein and flavor to the soup. And without the chicken, this soup would make a great appetizer.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light (March 2009)Print
A comforting soup that’s packed with fresh broccoli, shredded chicken and creamy cheese. It makes for the perfect dinner on a chilly night!
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1–1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces (about 2 cups) shredded light processed cheese
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 4 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Coat pot with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium; add butter, stirring until butter melts. Sprinkle onion mixture with flour; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually add milk and broth, stirring constantly with a whisk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 10 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Add cheese and stir until cheese melts. Add broccoli, chicken, half-and-half, salt and pepper; cook 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender and soup is thoroughly heated.