A comforting soup that’s packed with fresh broccoli, shredded chicken and creamy cheese. It makes for the perfect dinner on a chilly night!
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1–1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces (about 2 cups) shredded light processed cheese
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 4 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Coat pot with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium; add butter, stirring until butter melts. Sprinkle onion mixture with flour; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually add milk and broth, stirring constantly with a whisk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 10 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Add cheese and stir until cheese melts. Add broccoli, chicken, half-and-half, salt and pepper; cook 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender and soup is thoroughly heated.