Baked sweet potatoes, cheddar cheese, bacon, sour cream and onions all loaded into a delicious soup for the ultimate in comfort!
Craving comfort?! This soups for you!
I’ve been dreaming up this soup for months now! Just been waiting for a little bit cooler weather to make it happen. Although, it’s still in the 80’s here in Dallas, we’ve had a few cool evenings here and there, so I couldn’t wait any longer.
I prefer sweet potatoes over white potatoes and last time I was eating my favorite baked potato soup, I though why not make it with baked sweet potatoes?! We’ve been missing out, my friends!
This soup turned out so delicious! The sweet and savory flavors going on in ever bite make you just want to spoon in for more and more and more.
A creamy and cheesy soup that’s loaded with chunks of sweet potatoes, bits of bacon, and a few green onions. Tastes just like a loaded baked sweet potato, but in soup form. It’s so simple that you’ll want to make it all throughout the cooler seasons…
It makes a huge pot and it gets even more flavorful the next day, so it’s great for leftovers!
If you love sweet potatoes, you are going to fall in love with this soup! Enjoy!
- 5 large sweet potatoes
- 16 ounces maple bacon slices
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 7 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- ¾ cup sour cream, divided
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Clean and scrub sweet potatoes. Pierce each sweet potato with a fork about 6 times. Wrap individually in foil and bake for about 45 minutes until soft to the touch. Let cool enough to handle.
- Remove the skin from 2 of the baked sweet potatoes and mash them in a bowl. Leave the skin on the remaining sweet potatoes and cut them into small cubes.
- Using kitchen scissors or a sharp knife, cut the bacon into small pieces. Add to a large soup pot and cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pot with a slotted spoon, leaving the grease in the pot.
- Reserve ¼ cup of the fried bacon bits, ½ cup cheddar cheese, ¼ cup green onions and ¼ cup sour cream for garnishing.
- Turn the burner down to medium heat and whisk in the flour. A thick mixture will form. Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to whisk until thickened. Stir in the mashed and cubed sweet potatoes and all but ¼ cup of the chopped green onions. Add ½ cup sour cream, 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese and the remaining bacon. Slowly stir until cheese is melted.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with reserved cheese, bacon, onions and sour cream, if desired.