Baked sweet potatoes, cheddar cheese, bacon, sour cream and onions all loaded into a delicious soup for the ultimate in comfort!
- 5 large sweet potatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) package bacon slices
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 7 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup sour cream, divided
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Clean and scrub sweet potatoes. Pierce each sweet potato with a fork about 6 times. Wrap individually in foil and bake for about 45 minutes until soft to the touch. Let cool enough to handle.
- Remove the skin from all of the the baked sweet potatoes and mash two of them in a bowl. Cut the remaining three sweet potatoes into small cubes.
- Using kitchen scissors or a sharp knife, cut the bacon into small pieces. Add to a large soup pot and cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pot with a slotted spoon, leaving the grease in the pot.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the fried bacon bits, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup green onions and 1/4 cup sour cream for garnishing.
- Turn the burner down to medium heat and whisk in the flour. A thick mixture will form. Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to whisk until thickened.
- Stir in the mashed and cubed sweet potatoes.
- Add 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 and 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese and the remaining bacon bits. Slowly stir until cheese is melted.
- Once the cheese is melted, stir in all but 1/4 cup of the chopped green onions, salt and black pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with reserved cheese, bacon, onions and sour cream, if desired.