It’s an easy twist on traditional sloppy joes that’s flavorful and delicious!
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef until browned. Add the diced onion and bell pepper and let sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard and garlic salt. Add the tomato sauce and ketchup and stir until well combined. Let mixture simmer over low heat while you prepare the topping.
- For the topping, add the flour, baking powder and salt to a large bowl. Stir in the milk, melted butter, and egg until well combined. Fold in the shredded cheese.
- Pour the meat mixture into a 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Dollop the topping evenly over the meat mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is light golden brown.