Everyone loves these grilled cheese roll ups because they’re quick to make, easy to eat and fun to dip in sauce or soup.
After making french toast roll ups for the boys and seeing how much they love them, I immediately started thinking of a savory twist to roll ups that I could start making for a fun after-school snack or quick weeknight dinner. Wrapping cheese inside the roll ups was the first thing that came to mind so I decided to give them a try and test them out on the boys.
And, of course, they love them! Believe it or not, they actually like them better than a classic grilled cheese sandwich, especially Barrett. Barrett has always just picked the cheese out of his grilled cheese sandwiches instead of eating the whole thing. We’re always asking him why he won’t eat the bread and he just asks for more cheese. The boys loves his cheese!
Well, anyway, he will actually eat these grilled cheese roll ups without unrolling them and picking out the cheese and they all love dipping them in tomato sauce, ranch or tomato soup.
I found that a good shredded cheddar cheese works best for easily rolling the bread and giving the roll ups an even distribution of melted cheese…
They’re so easy to make as they’re just like a classic grilled cheese sandwich except you go ahead and cut off the crusts (which most kids request anyway) and you roll each slice up instead of sandwiching two slices of bread together. Here’s a quick glance at how they’re made…
I’ll sometimes make a double batch to keep in the refrigerator so I can put them in the boys’ lunchboxes throughout the week or easily reheat them in the microwave for a quick snack when we’re on the go. Yummy yum yum!
Let me know if you make these for the kiddos or even yourself by leaving a comment below. And I love seeing pics when y’all make my recipes, so be sure to tag #thebakermama on Instagram if you post a pic!
- 8 slices soft white bread
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- Trim the crusts from each slice of bread. Roll one slice out to about ⅛-inch thickness with a rolling pin. Sprinkle the rolled out slice with about 2 tablespoons shredded cheese. Roll up tightly. Repeat with remaining bread slices and shredded cheese.
- Place 2 tablespoons butter in a large non-stick saute pan and melt over medium heat.
- Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in a shallow bowl in the microwave. Dip one roll up at a time in the melted butter in the shallow bowl and then transfer to the saute pan. Allow roll ups to saute for 1-2 minutes per side until golden brown and buttery crisp on the outside. Remove to a serving platter.
- Serve with tomato sauce, ranch or tomato soup for dipping, if desired.