This Greek Yogurt Blueberry Coffee Cake is a lovely, summery twist on the classic morning treat! Made with greek yogurt and coconut oil, it’s flavored with bright lemon and fresh, plump blueberries with a crunchy cinnamon-sugar streusel on top. An irresistible crowd-pleaser!
Cake for breakfast! Upgrade your next weekend brunch or afternoon sweet-tooth craving with this blueberry coffee cake. It tastes decadent, but is made a little lighter with the addition of Greek yogurt and tons of fresh flavors like lemon, vanilla, and coconut oil! You won’t even miss the butter with all of the deliciousness going on here.
The real star of this recipe is the fresh blueberries that burst all throughout the cake as it bakes, so you get some bold blueberry flavor inside each bite. The zest and juice from the lemon also compliments this nicely. All of the bright, fruity twists make this cake absolute perfection during the summer. If you don’t have fresh blueberries on hand, frozen should work as well! Just make sure to stir them in straight out of the freezer so that they hold their shape.
One of the best things about this cake is that it looks and tastes fancy, but comes together so easily. It takes just 10 minutes to whip up this batter – the hardest part is waiting for it to bake!
As if the cake itself weren’t enough, you can’t skip out on the yummy topping. The cinnamon-sugar streusel provides a nice, sweet and crunchy contrast to the soft and tender cake underneath.
This cake will store great for 2-3 days at room temperature or for up to 7 days in the refrigerator. Of course, there’s nothing quite like a warm slice of cake, but it also tastes yummy chilled!
Prepare to be hooked on this perfectly sweet and fluffy addition to your morning mug of hot coffee.
I had so much fun creating this recipe for y’all! I spent 3 weeks with The BakerMama as part of an internship to end my senior year of high school and learned all about the crazy world of food blogging and social media brand building. I can’t wait for y’all to enjoy!
This blueberry coffee cake is a lovely, summery twist on the classic morning treat! Made with greek yogurt and coconut oil, it’s flavored with bright lemon and fresh, plump blueberries with a crunchy cinnamon-sugar streusel on top. An irresistible crowd-pleaser!
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of one lemon (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a 9×13-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray or parchment paper to prevent the cake from sticking to the pan as it bakes. Set aside.
- Prepare the streusel topping: melt the coconut oil in a medium microwave safe mixing bowl. Add the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon and mix together with a fork until somewhat crumbly. Place the bowl in the fridge while you make the cake batter.
- Make the cake batter: In a large mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the coconut oil and granulated sugar until the sugar starts to dissolve into the coconut oil. Most coconut oil is solid at room temperature, and this is fine! There is no need to melt it.
- Add the Greek yogurt and the milk and mix until well combined.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well incorporated. Mix in the vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix carefully until just combined. Fold in the fresh blueberries.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Crumble the streusel topping evenly over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Serve warm or completely cooled.