Strawberry Streusel Scones are scrumptious scones studded with fresh strawberries and topped with an irresistibly sweet streusel!
The strawberries at the store have been screaming my name lately and how can I resist?! They’re bright and beautiful and I love having them handy at home because if we’re not snacking on them, I’m baking with them!
I’m a sucker for good scones so I decided to stir some strawberries into a batch recently and they baked up so spectacularly. To make them even more special, I sprinkled each one with a sweet brown sugar streusel creating the most delectable crunch on the outside with a moist buttery texture on the inside. They’re nothing short of superb!
Like most scone recipes, this one is sweet and simple so let me show you how they’re baked…
Start by mixing together the dough. It’s important that the butter is very cold so cubing it and placing it in the freezer for about 5 minutes helps insure it blends perfectly with the flour mixture for a rich buttery scone.
Next you’ll form the dough into a disk on a floured surface and cut it into 8 even wedges…
Then you’ll make the irresistible streusel…
Finally, you’ll place the scones on a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush with the egg wash before sprinkling with a generous tablespoon of streusel…
25-30 minutes later you’ll have some of the most delicious scones coming right out of your oven. Your loved ones might even wonder whether you went to a bakery to get these beauties! 😉
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold
- 1-1/2 cups fresh sliced strawberries
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 egg whisked with 1 teaspoon water, for brushing scones before baking
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut the butter into small cubes on a plate and place in the freezer for 5 minutes to get really cold.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, brown sugar and salt. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender or two knives until a crumbly mixture forms with some large chunks of butter throughout. Stir in the sliced strawberries until well coated in the flour mixture. Add the beaten egg and cream and stir with a wooden spoon or your hands until just combined.
- Place dough on a floured service and using your hands, shape into a 1-inch round disk. Cut the disk like a pizza into 8 even slices. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet, placing a few inches apart. Brush each scone generously with the egg wash.
- Make the streusel topping by melting the butter in a small bowl. Using a fork, stir in the brown sugar and flour until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle the streusel evenly among the scones.
- Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes and then move the baking sheet to the top rack for another 5-10 minutes or until scones and streusel are golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.