Strawberry Streusel Scones are scrumptious scones studded with fresh strawberries and topped with an irresistibly sweet streusel!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold
- 1–1/2 cups fresh sliced strawberries
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg whisked with 1 teaspoon water, for brushing scones before baking
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut the butter into small cubes on a plate and place in the freezer for 5 minutes to get really cold.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, brown sugar and salt. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender or two knives until a crumbly mixture forms with some large chunks of butter throughout. Stir in the sliced strawberries until well coated in the flour mixture. Add the beaten egg and cream and stir with a wooden spoon or your hands until just combined.
- Place dough on a floured service and using your hands, shape into a 1-inch round disk. Cut the disk like a pizza into 8 even slices. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet, placing a few inches apart. Brush each scone generously with the egg wash.
- Make the streusel topping by melting the butter in a small bowl. Using a fork, stir in the brown sugar and flour until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle the streusel evenly among the scones.
- Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes and then move the baking sheet to the top rack for another 5-10 minutes or until scones and streusel are golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.