All the greatness of a classic reuben sandwich piled on a whole wheat cheese stuffed crust and baked to crispy yet chewy pizza perfection!
A classic reuben is one of my absolute favorite sandwiches. The combo of corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and thousand island dressing is like none other. It’s creative. It’s comforting. And it’s crazy delicious!
Well, I combined my love for reuben sandwiches with my obsession with pizza into one amazing reuben pizza!
The crust is slightly sweet and made heartier with whole wheat flour. The toppings are traditional to a reuben with a little sweet relish as a garnish. I even stuffed the crust with swiss cheese which makes the experience all that more enjoyable.
The dough is simple and just takes an hour to rise. It bakes into one of my absolute favorite pizza crusts!
Thousand island dressing plays as the base and the drizzle on top with plenty of corned beef, sauerkraut and swiss cheese in between. The hearty crust holds all of toppings perfectly and makes for a filling and fantastic slice or two! 😉
Everyone loves this pizza, even our boys! I think they were sold by the sweetness of the thousand island dressing and the cheese in the crust.
I sometimes prep the dough in the morning, let it rise and then place it in the refrigerator until dinnertime. About an hour before we’re ready to make dinner, I set the dough out to let it come to room temperature before prepping the pizza.
Such a great pizza for a weeknight dinner, Friday pizza night, game day or a party with friends. Who doesn’t love pizza, especially when it tastes like a reuben! Yum! Yum!
This recipe was created as part of my partnership with Gold Medal Flour however thoughts and opinions are certainly my own!
- 1 package (2-1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup Gold Medal™ Better for Bread™ flour
- 1 cup Gold Medal™ whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup thousand island dressing
- 1 pound shredded Swiss cheese
- ½ pound chopped corned beef
- ½ cup sauerkraut
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ cup sweet relish
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the yeast and brown sugar with the warm water. Allow to proof about 10 minutes.
- Add both flours and mix on low speed for a few minutes before slowly adding the olive oil. Mix until a smooth dough starts to form, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a well-oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450°F and lightly spray a large round pizza pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Once dough has risen, remove it from the bowl and form it into a ball with well-floured hands. Place the ball of dough onto a well-floured surface. Roll the dough out into a circle that’s an inch larger than your pizza pan.
- Spread dough with ⅓ cup of the thousand island dressing. Sprinkle with some of the shredded swiss cheese. Cover the cheese with the chopped corn beef and sauerkraut. Place some shredded cheese around the perimeter of the dough on the edge of the pan and sprinkle the rest of the cheese evenly over the sauerkraut on the pizza.
- Fold the dough that’s hanging over the edge of the pan over the cheese around the perimeter and tuck it in to seal it. This will create the cheese stuffed crust. Brush the crust with a little olive oil and sprinkle with the garlic salt.
- Bake the pizza for 20-25 minutes or until the crust starts to brown and the cheese starts to bubble. Let set 5 minutes before drizzling with the remaining thousand island dressing and sweet relish. Cut and serve.