Crispy waffles that are bursting with juicy blueberries and coated in a sweet sugar glaze just like a good ol’ blueberry cake donut!
When it comes to morning treats, donuts are definitely at the top of my list with crispy waffles being a close second!
The boys and I have a yummy tradition of making waffles on Wednesday mornings and we always have fun creating different versions. Some weeks we’re super healthy with whole wheat banana waffles and others we throw bacon and chocolate chips in them for a real tasty morning treat.
Well, a few Wednesdays ago we slept in and didn’t have time to make waffles so we swung by the donut shop on our way to school for a special breakfast treat. Baker was kind of sad we weren’t making waffles since it was Wednesday after all and that’s what we do on Wednesday mornings, but he quickly turned that frown upside down when he spotted a sprinkled donut in the case. I ordered a blueberry cake donut that morning and it was heavenly! Glazed cake donuts with blueberries fried throughout are quite possibly one of the tastiest morning treats ever made.
As I was dropping Baker off at school, he thanked me for taking him to the donut shop (sweet boy!) and then asked if we could make waffles the next morning since we missed Waffle Wednesday that morning. I told him absolutely! 🙂 As I was driving home thinking about making waffles with him the next morning and dreaming about the awesome blueberry cake donut I had just enjoyed, it dawned on me that making a waffle taste like a blueberry cake donut could quite possibly be one of the greatest breakfast creations ever.
I could hardly wait to try them, so I went straight home and did just that! Oh my yumminess, they turned out even greater than I had imagined!
Crispy sweet waffles loaded with juicy blueberries and coated in a sweet sugar glaze. It tastes just like a blueberry cake donut, but in waffle form. The best of both worlds and truly out of this world!
They’re super simple to make and will wow you with how wonderful they are to eat!
Whether it’s Waffle Wednesday or just a special weekend breakfast, these blueberry cake waffles will quickly become a favorite that you’ll crave like crazy!
This recipe was created as part of my partnership with Gold Medal Flour however thoughts and opinions are certainly my own!
- 2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- Preheat a waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in the blueberries.
- Spray the waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and add ½-cup waffle batter to each waffle side. Close and let bake for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crisp on the outside. Remove to a wire rack set on a baking sheet.
- Meanwhile, whisk the powdered sugar and milk together in a shallow bowl until smooth. Take one cooked waffle at a time and dip it into the glaze. Place back on the baking rack, glazed side up, and let the glaze drip down the sides and set slightly.
- Serve immediately. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat, simply place on a lightly greased baking sheet in a 350°F oven for 5-7 minutes.