Brownies get a healthy boost from whole wheat flour and pumpkin, while plenty of chocolate makes them nice and fudgy in these Whole Wheat Pumpkin Brownies! A great fall treat!
October is here and what does that mean? It’s pumpkin time!
Why is that we have to wait until October to start baking with pumpkin? And is it just me or does there seem to be a rule out there that we can only bake with it until Thanksgiving? I just don’t understand why we limit ourselves to enjoying pumpkin only two months out of the year yet pure pumpkin sits on the grocery store shelves year-round. It’s like only wearing white between Memorial Day and Labor Day. I just don’t understand!
Well, some rules are meant to be broken and I will proudly admit that I love to bake with pumpkin year-round because it such a sweet and nutritious addition to so many recipes. I am so excited to be sharing one of my absolute favorite pumpkin treats with you today, but don’t be surprised if I post other pumpkin recipes in March and June!
These Pumpkin Brownies get a healthy boost from whole wheat flour and pumpkin, while plenty of chocolate makes them nice and fudgy. They make for the perfect fall treat, but I know once you try them you will be baking them year-round too!
Don’t blink because there are only a few steps! Here we go…
Mmmm…warm brownies! Nothing better!
Brownies get a healthy boost from whole wheat flour and pumpkin, while plenty of chocolate makes them nice and fudgy! A great fall treat!
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) can pure pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1–1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, sugar, eggs, pumpkin and vanilla. Whisk flour mixture into pumpkin mixture until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips then transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool then cut into squares.