Take your love of chili beyond the board with this Fill-Your-Own Chili Bowl Spread. Start with the Best Darn Chili you’ve ever had, add some Sweet & Simple Cornbread, and then pile it high with all the tasty toppings you can imagine. Everyone will love it!
There’s just something so comforting about a bowl of chili, no matter the time of year. Whether it’s just chili with a dollop of sour cream and a side of cornbread or a layered bowl with chips on the bottom covered in chili, cheese and a variety of veggies, the creativity that can come from something as simple as a pot of chili is amazing. It’s one of our favorite meals, especially when we serve it fill-your-own bowl style. It all starts with the chili surrounded by as many topping options as your crowd desires. It’s one of those meals that everyone enjoys both the experience and deliciousness. I can’t wait to share it with you!
Brandon’s Best Darn Chili / Sweet and Simple Cornbread
You can use any chili recipe you want. But y’all, Brandon’s chili is very, very hard to beat. I wouldn’t call it the Best Darn Chili if it wasn’t. Sure it requires more ingredients than your quick-fix powdered packet seasoned chili recipes and might take a little more effort to prepare, but trust me, it’s soooo worth it. The taste and texture are the real deal. My Sweet and Simple Cornbread is the perfect compliment to Brandon’s chili. I bet my grandma made this slightly sweetened cornbread for us a million times growing up and it’s the only cornbread my mom makes to this day. Definitely a family favorite!
Fill-Your-Own Chili Bowl Spread
Quick Tip! Both the chili and the cornbread can be made in advance and reheated.
Next, prepare and place all of the toppings in serving dishes on the spread table. As far as toppings, I put a bunch of suggestions in the recipe card, but it’s really up to you. And the possibilities are pretty endless! Keep it fresh and healthy with tomatoes, roasted corn, and avocado. Indulge a little with corn chips or fried onions. Set out some shredded cheese for sprinkling and sour cream for dolloping, and get ready to watch everyone come back for seconds.
Let each person gather around or file through the spread to fill their own chili bowl. Eat and enjoy! I love to serve the spread with small bowls so each person can enjoy a small bowl one way and return to the spread to enjoy another small bowl a completely different way.
Ready to try a new combination? Dive right in. That’s what seconds are for!
I hope you enjoy this Fill-Your-Own Chili Bowl Spread as much as we do. When you make it, be sure to snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @thebakermama so I can see! I just love seeing how inspired and creative y’all get with the ideas I share.
This Fill-Your-Own Chili Bowl Spread starts with the Best Darn Chili you’ve ever had, adds some Sweet & Simple Corn Bread, and then piles it high with all the tasty toppings you can imagine.
- Start by making the chili and baking the cornbread. Keep the chili over low heat and the cornbread in a 200˚F oven warming until ready to serve the spread.
- Prepare and place all of the toppings in serving dishes on the spread table. Add the chili and cornbread to the spread just before serving.
- Let each person gather around or file through the spread to fill their own chili bowl.
- Both the chili and cornbread can be made in advance and reheated.
- Serve the spread with small bowls so each person can enjoy a small bowl one way and return to the spread to enjoy another small bowl a completely different way.
- If you’re serving the spread over the course of a few hours, keep the chili over low heat on the stovetop or in a slow cooker.