Growing up, we had several favorite meals that we would beg my mom to make for dinner. In fact, we still beg her to make some of these yummy meals every time we go home. Everything she makes is so comforting and oh so delicious!
One of our absolute favorites is this chicken casserole where bone-in chicken is covered in canned cream soup and sprinkled with buttery crackers then baked and served over a bed of rice. Of course it’s tasty tasty, but I’ve been wanting to make my own version with a scratch-made cream sauce and boneless chicken breasts. The buttery crackers are what makes the meal so memorable so they were non-negotiable when I was recreating this recipe…mmmmm!
I’m so thrilled with the way my version of this family favorite turned out!
For the full post & recipe, CLICK HERE.
This recipe was created as part of my partnership with Gold Medal Flour however thoughts and opinions are certainly my own!
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 35 buttery crackers, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place chicken breasts in a greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a boil oven medium-high heat. While the chicken broth is coming to a boil, whisk the flour, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper together in a bowl then whisk in the milk until the mixture is thick and smooth. Reduce the chicken broth to a simmer and slowly whisk the flour mixture into the simmering broth. Continue to whisk over low heat until the sauce starts to thicken. Turn off the heat and stir in the sour cream. Pour the cream sauce evenly over the chicken breasts.
- In a small bowl, melt the butter. Stir the crushed crackers into the butter with a fork. Sprinkle the crushed crackers evenly over the cream sauce in the baking dish.
- Cover the dish completely with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked all the way through. Serve over rice with a side of veggies.