Cheeseburgers served pizza style on a toasted bun with perfectly seasoned beef, melty cheese, fresh veggies, bacon and the most incredible “special sauce”!
If you’ve never had a cheeseburger in pizza form, you gotta try these cheeseburger bun pizzas. They’re quick & easy to make and they taste so great.
I love making them for a hungry crowd whether it’s just my family of 6 on a busy weeknight or all the neighbors and their kids on a Friday night. They’re a huge hit every time!
I start by toasting the burger buns until crisp and then spread them with a “special sauce” made of ketchup, mayo, sweet relish and spicy brown mustard. That special sauce is where it’s at, y’all! Oh my yum…
Next comes a sprinkling of cheese and then a layer of the ground beef mixture. I used Nolan Ryan 90/10 ground beef and sautéed it with chopped onion and minced garlic so it’s full of flavor. The beef mixture is covered in more shredded cheese before the pizzas return to the oven until the cheese is completely melted, about 5 minutes.
Once the cheese is melted, you’ll remove the pizzas from the oven and top each one with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, chopped pickles, bacon bits and a generous drizzle of more special sauce. So much yumminess going on…
The bun is toasty crisp and holds the toppings so perfectly. These can be eaten with your hands or knife & forked. Either way, they’re easy and delicious and everyone loves them!
I recently served them alongside Skillet Sliders, Baked Sweet & Salty Potato Chips and Salted Caramel Pretzel Milkshakes as part of Burger Night, Done Right! using Nolan Ryan Beef and Kroger’s fresh produce and accompaniments. CLICK HERE to see how it all came together so you can plan your own burger night and do it up right! 🙂
This post was created as part of my partnership with Nolan Ryan Beef and Kroger however thoughts and opinions are certainly my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The BakerMama possible.
- 4 large hamburger buns, split in half
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound Nolan Ryan ground beef
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped dill pickles
- bacon bits
- special sauce (recipe included)
- Special Sauce:
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons sweet relish
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- Prepare special sauce by whisking together the ketchup, mayonnaise, relish and spicy brown mustard until well combined. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Separate the buns and place each half, middle side up, on a large baking sheet that’s been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Toast buns in the preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, sautéed the onion and garlic until fragrant and onions start to turn translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the ground beef and start to break it up with a wooden spoon or spatula into several equal size pieces as it combines with the onion and garlic mixture.
- Continue to break the beef up into smaller and smaller pieces as it browns. The beef is ready when it is all brown with no signs of pink. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread a few teaspoons of special sauce on each toasted bun. Sprinkle the special sauce with a little cheese and top with 3-4 tablespoons of beef mixture before sprinkling with more cheese. Place pizzas in the oven for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- To serve, top each pizza with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, chopped pickle, bacon bits and a drizzle of special sauce.
Recipe by Maegan Brown/Photography by Madison Mentesana