A simple and scrumptious way to roast okra that will have you craving it over and over again!
We’re from Oklahoma, so okra has always been a staple in our lives, especially in the summer. Up until a few months ago, the only way I’d really ever eaten okra was fried. My mom and grandmas all fried up some of the best okra that I’ve loved since I was old enough to eat real food. Yum! Yum!
We were at the farmer’s market a few months ago and the most beautiful okra caught our eyes and we knew we had to bring some home for dinner that night. It was just too beautiful to batter and fry, so Brandon came up with the idea to blister it in the oven.
Just 15 minutes in the oven followed by a toss in a little lemon juice and parmesan cheese and the most delicious okra you’ll ever sink your teeth into will be ready to devour.
We’ve made it so many times in the past few months because okra is in season and this way of cooking and eating it, is oh so scrumptious. We’ll make it as an appetizer or a side dish and even our boys love ‘em!
They’re too easy not to try! So even if you or someone in the family is okra-adverse, you should at least give them a chance. I might even bet you that everyone will love them!
~Maegan & Brandon
- 1 pound fresh okra
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt, divided
- ½ of a large lemon
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss the okra in the vegetable oil and place in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with half the salt.
- Roast until blistered, about 15 minutes, turning each one over after about 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before transferring to a bowl and tossing with the juice of ½ a lemon and half of the parmesan cheese.
- Arrange on a serving plate and sprinkle with remaining salt and Parmesan cheese.