Chewy hot cocoa cookies with bits of marshmallow swirled throughout and a big marshmallow melting out the middle. A tasty way to warm up this winter!
Brrrr, y’all! It’s so cold and I don’t even live in the coldest of places. I know lots of you live in places that are knee deep in snow with below zero temps and ridiculous wind chills, so really I have nothing to complain about.
We lived in Sioux City, Iowa, for a few years before we had the boys and I remember one whole month when the temperatures never got above zero degrees. In fact, some days it was well below zero without even considering the wind chills. Absolute craziness! We made the best of it and just went from point A to point B with as little time outside as possible, but it was freaking freezing and there were days when I thought I might die. I’m so dramatic when I’m cold! Brrrr-ha-ha!
It is pretty darn cold here in Dallas today and I’m currently sitting on the couch with the boys watching Home Alone with about four layers on, including a huge thick robe, and I’m still cold. Once I get cold, it takes forever to warm up. I swear I lose weight in the winter because my body is constantly working to stay warm. No complaints about that! 😉
All I can think about is a big mug of hot cocoa and one of these hot cocoa cookies fresh out of the oven. Talk about a wonderful way to warm right up!
These cookies were inspired from my trip to Nashville for the 2014 Pillsbury Bake-Off and one of the contestants baked these slightly spiced Hot Chocolate-Marshmallow Cookies that were so so yummy! I loved standing behind her and watching as she checked the cookies for the marshmallow to start melting out. I couldn’t get these cookies out of my mind, so I came home and baked up a version of my own.
They’re easy, fun and oh so yum! If you love hot cocoa with lots of marshmallows on top, you’ll die over how delicious these cookies are! They taste just like hot cocoa and as much as I love drinking hot cocoa, I’d much rather eat it! 🙂
I can’t think of a better sweet treat on a cold winter day! So if you’re stuck inside, looking for something fun to do, and craving hot cocoa, you’ve gotta bake these cookies! So so yummy!
Enjoy & stay warm, my friends!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup dry hot cocoa mix
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups mini marshmallow bits, divided
- 12 large marshmallows, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, hot cocoa mix, baking soda, and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture in the mixer, 1 cup at a time, until combined. Stir in 1 cup marshmallow bits. It’s okay if the marshmallow bits swirl throughout the dough as you’re stirring.
- Flatten 2 tablespoons of dough at a time into round discs. Place half of a large marshmallow in the center of the dough and then wrap the dough around the marshmallow and seal completely. Turn the cookie dough sealed side down onto the parchment lined cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and marshmallow halves, placing each disc of dough a few inches apart on the cookie sheets. Garnish the top of each cookie with some more marshmallow bits.
- Bake cookies for 12-14 minutes or until melted marshmallow starts to crack through the top of each cookie. Let cookies cool completely on cookie sheets.