This Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Pot Pie is a comforting pot pie with a scratch-made flaky crust covering a hearty helping of tender chicken and fresh broccoli that’s been tossed in a creamy cheese sauce.
The only thing I like about cold weather is all the warm and comforting foods we get to make and eat. It’s how I survive! 😉 Fall and winter are full of soups, stews, casseroles and pot pies for us. It just feels so good to sit down to a warm meal on a chilly night.
We had a stormy night last week and a bit of a cool front move through, so I immediately started craving something warm and comforting. It needed to be quick though, because it was already 4pm and the boys start begging for dinner by 5pm.
Two of our favorites are broccoli cheese casserole and chicken pot pie. I didn’t have rice for the broccoli casserole or peas and carrots for a pot pie, so I married the two together, and my oh my did it turn into a tasty pie!
A scratch-made flaky crust covers tender chicken and fresh broccoli that’s been tossed in a creamy cheese sauce. Mmmm…mmmm…mmmm!
Like I said, I had to pull something together pretty quick and by 5:05pm, this beauty came out of the oven and had us all running to the table.
A scratch-made crust over cheesy chicken and broccoli baked to crispy creamy comforting perfection…
We devoured this in one meal and loved it so much that I baked up another one the next night! Delish!
I hope y’all love it as much as we do! Enjoy!
A comforting pot pie with a scratch-made flaky crust covering a hearty helping of tender chicken and fresh broccoli that’s been tossed in a creamy cheese sauce.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons
- Gold Medal™
- all-purpose flour
- 1–1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1–1/2 cups
- Gold Medal™
- all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, sauté chicken in oil until cooked all the way through. Meanwhile, steam broccoli until tender, about 10 minutes.
- In a large pot, melt butter. Stir in diced onion and sauté for about 5 minutes. Whisk in flour. Slowly whisk in milk and continue to whisk until the mixture starts to thicken. Stir in cheese until melted. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken and broccoli to the cheese sauce and stir until coated. Transfer to a lightly greased baking dish.
- Prepare the crust. In a large bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or two knives moving in opposite directions. Add the water and stir together with your hands until you’re able to form the dough into a ball. Roll the dough out into a large circle, larger than the size of your baking dish. Transfer dough to the top of the baking dish and let it hang over the sides. Pinch the dough around the rim of the baking dish. Trim if necessary. Cut a few slits in the top of the dough.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Lightly brush all over the dough.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and crisp.