A comforting pot pie with a scratch-made flaky crust covering a hearty helping of tender chicken and fresh broccoli that’s been tossed in a creamy cheese sauce.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1–1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1–1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, sauté chicken in oil until cooked all the way through. Meanwhile, steam broccoli until tender, about 10 minutes.
- In a large pot, melt butter. Stir in diced onion and sauté for about 5 minutes. Whisk in flour. Slowly whisk in milk and continue to whisk until the mixture starts to thicken. Stir in cheese until melted. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken and broccoli to the cheese sauce and stir until coated. Transfer to a lightly greased baking dish.
- Prepare the crust. In a large bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or two knives moving in opposite directions. Add the water and stir together with your hands until you’re able to form the dough into a ball. Roll the dough out into a large circle, larger than the size of your baking dish. Transfer dough to the top of the baking dish and let it hang over the sides. Pinch the dough around the rim of the baking dish. Trim if necessary. Cut a few slits in the top of the dough.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Lightly brush all over the dough.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and crisp.