An easy casserole version of classic beef stroganoff that the whole family will enjoy!
My grandma was the queen of comfort dishes and one of my absolute favorites was her beef stroganoff. A simple dish full of flavor and some of my favorite ingredients.
My casserole version of this family-favorite meal is so easy and everyone will love it!
It all starts with strips of steak that are sauteed with garlic, onions and mushrooms…
A combination of flour, milk, beef broth and sour cream are added to create a thick and creamy sauce. A little worcestershire sauce adds a nice richness to the flavor…
The egg noodles are cooked according to package directions, then transferred to a lightly greased baking dish before being topped with the creamy beef sauce and some crispy fried onions…
It all bakes together for about 30 minutes before being served and devoured…
I hope you and your family find this as comforting and delicious as we do and that it becomes a family favorite for any night of the week! Enjoy!
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 pound sirloin steak, cut into strips
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup crispy fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish and set aside. Cook egg noodles according to package directions and keep warm while you prepare the meat sauce. I used beef broth to boil my noodles for a little added flavor.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and then add the onion, garlic and mushrooms. Saute for 8-10 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add the steak and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Continue to cook until beef is completely browned. Stir in worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Let simmer over low heat while you prepare the thickening ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Whisk in milk until well combined. Stir flour mixture into meat mixture. Add sour cream and stir until completely combined.
- Transfer cooked noodles to the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with creamy beef mixture. Sprinkle with crispy fried onions.
- Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 30 minutes. Let cool a few minutes before serving.