An easy casserole version of a classic, this Beef Stroganoff Casserole is a meal the whole family is sure to enjoy!
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 pound sirloin steak, cut into strips
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup crispy fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish and set aside. Cook egg noodles according to package directions and keep warm while you prepare the meat sauce. I used beef broth to boil my noodles for a little added flavor.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and then add the onion, garlic and mushrooms. Saute for 8-10 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add the steak and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Continue to cook until beef is completely browned. Stir in worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Let simmer over low heat while you prepare the thickening ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Whisk in milk until well combined. Stir flour mixture into meat mixture. Add sour cream and stir until completely combined.
- Transfer cooked noodles to the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with creamy beef mixture. Sprinkle with crispy fried onions.
- Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 30 minutes. Let cool a few minutes before serving.