Moist banana muffins with swirls of Nutella in every scrumptious bite!
At almost 37 weeks pregnant with our 4th, I’m in full nesting mode. I’m getting things checked off my to-do list that have been on there since the twins were born and that was almost 3 years ago, my friends! 😉
Last week, I did a much needed clean out of our pantry and found 5 jars of unopened Nutella. Ha! There was pretty much a container at the back of every darn shelf. You would have thought I was stocking it for a crisis of some sort. And maybe I was…because it would be a crisis if we ran out of Nutella, wouldn’t it now?! 😉
I bake with Nutella a lot, so every time it’s on sale or I might even suspect that we’re running low, I buy a jar. And now we have 5 full jars to enjoy! Oh my!
The first thing I thought to bake with my surplus of Nutella was my Nutella Swirled Banana Bread recipe. It’s to die for! It was early in the morning and since the bread bakes for over an hour, I thought it would be great to try baking the recipe into muffins so we could eat them for breakfast.
As the muffins were baking, the boys kept asking, “what’s that yummy smell?”! The house smelled irresistible. That familiar smell of banana bread baking with a hint of hazelnut and chocolate filled the house and as soon as I pulled them from the oven, the boys came running to the kitchen.
They turned out so pretty and since I was 100% confident they would taste amazing, I made the boys wait a bit a longer so I could quickly photograph them to share the yumminess with y’all here on the blog.
Moist banana muffins with lots of Nutella swirled throughout. The combo is incredible!
They make for a great breakfast and would be pretty special to bake and take to friends or serve at a special event. Muffin love!
I hope you get a chance to bake these marvelous muffins soon! Enjoy!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 overripe bananas, mashed (about 1-1/2 cups)
- ½ cup Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1 ripe banana, for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan generously with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, melt the butter and let cool slightly. Whisk in the sugar then the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour and baking soda. Fold in the mashed bananas until just combined.
- Fill each muffin cup halfway with some batter. Dollop 1 teaspoon of Nutella in a few spots on top of the batter in each muffin cup. Use the end of a chopstick or other small utensil to gently swirl the Nutella through the batter in each muffin cup. Scoop the remaining batter evenly among the muffins cups, filling each muffin cup almost full. Dollop 1 teaspoon of Nutella in a few spots on top of the batter in each muffin cup. Use the end of a chopstick or another small-ended utensil to swirl the Nutella through the top half of the muffin batter.
- Cut the remaining banana into 12 thin slices and place a slice in the middle of the swirled batter in each muffin cup.
- Bake muffins for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.