This fresh cilantro avocado salad is a fiesta to the mouth! Loaded with black beans, corn, tomato and red onion with a simple lime dressing, cotija cheese, and a sprinkle of spice, it’s filling and fabulous!
Are you a cilantro lover or hater? I’m a lover! I can’t get enough of the stuff. It’s fresh and has this distinctive sharp bite that makes me want more and more. I’ve always got it on hand to blend in salsa or guacamole, put on tacos, sprinkle over avocado toast, garnish just about any dish with and now as the star ingredient in this scrumptious salad. I’m obsessed.
One night when we were making a cilantro pesto to go with steak tacos, I was munching on cilantro leaves and told Brandon we should make a cilantro salad. He said, “you mean like toss cilantro in a green salad? Sounds great!” Nope, I mean use cilantro as the main green in a salad. He was skeptical, but I showed him! Haha! 😉
No, seriously! This salad is so simple to toss together and it’s a show-stoppper!
A whole bunch of cilantro, a diced avocado, black beans, corn, tomatoes and red onion are all tossed together with the juice of a lime, a few tablespoons of olive oil, salt and either black pepper or red pepper flakes, if you like a little spice.
Oh and cheese, don’t forget to sprinkle it with some cotija or queso fresco.
Isn’t she lovely?! So fresh and so full of amazing flavor.
I’ve made this salad several times since creating it a few weeks ago and I can’t get over how delicious it is. It keeps great in the refrigerator for several days and goes well with just about any meal, or do like me and make a meal out of it by itself. So yummy!
- 2 cups cilantro leaves (1 large bunch)
- 1 large avocado, diced
- ½ pound roma tomatoes, chopped (4-6 small tomatoes)
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned whole kernel corn, drained
- juice of a large lime
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and black pepper (or red pepper flakes), to taste
- 1 cup crumbled cotija or queso fresco cheese
- Submerge cilantro in a bowl of clean cold water a few times to clean thoroughly. Let dry between paper towels and then remove cilantro leaves from the stems.
- Place cilantro leaves in a large mixing bowl. Add diced avocado, chopped tomatoes, sliced red onion, black beans and corn. Squeeze lime juice over ingredients in the bowl and drizzle with 2 tablespoon olive oil. Toss gently to combine well. Salt and pepper (or red pepper flakes) to taste. Sprinkle with cheese and toss again.
- Serve as a side dish or a main salad. Store in the refrigerator.