Carrot cake meets banana nut bread in this healthier loaf of Whole Wheat Banana Nut Carrot Cake Bread that’s moist and marvelous.
Carrot cake is one of my absolute favorite cakes and this time of year, I crave it like crazy! Of course, I bake carrot cakes year round, but come springtime, I’m looking for any and all reasons to bake a carrot cake. As much as I love a moist sweet carrot cake with a thick covering of cream cheese frosting, I probably shouldn’t satisfy my craving with something that indulgent every single day. So I baked up this healthier loaf of banana nut bread that’s loaded with shredded carrots and spiked with cinnamon. It’s the best of both worlds. If you love banana bread and are crazy about carrot cake, this banana nut carrot cake bread is a dream come true for your taste buds and your tummy.
It’s baked with whole wheat flour and just 1/2 cup oil to keep it on the healthier side so you can enjoy it as a healthy hearty breakfast, brunch accompaniment or afternoon snack. The mashed bananas, shredded apple and shredded carrots add a ton of moisture and texture to this beautiful bread. The nuts give it an occasionally crunch and it’s still nice and sweet, but not nearly as sweet as a carrot cake or some banana bread recipes.
If you’re looking for a healthy quick bread to bake for Easter brunch, to give to a neighbor just to show them how much you love them or to have handy throughout the week for a great breakfast or snack, you’ll love this loaf. It’s easy and everyone always enjoys it!
Happy Spring! Enjoy!
Carrot cake meets banana nut bread in this healthier loaf that’s moist and marvelous.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 very ripe bananas)
- 1/2 cup shredded apple (about 1 medium)
- 2 cups shredded carrot (about 5 whole carrots)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, plus more for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the canola oil, sugar and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixer and beat on low speed until just combined. Stir in the mashed banana, shredded apple, shredded carrots and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Garnish with banana slices and more chopped walnuts, if desired. Bake for 60-65 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.