Carrot cake meets banana nut bread in this healthier loaf that’s moist and marvelous.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 very ripe bananas)
- 1/2 cup shredded apple (about 1 medium)
- 2 cups shredded carrot (about 5 whole carrots)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, plus more for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the canola oil, sugar and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixer and beat on low speed until just combined. Stir in the mashed banana, shredded apple, shredded carrots and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Garnish with banana slices and more chopped walnuts, if desired. Bake for 60-65 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.