Strawberries are quickly taking over the produce section and I couldn’t be more thrilled! We always have a stock of strawberries in the fridge, so when the price of strawberries drops in the spring and summer, our surplus goes up even more. We eat them all day, every day!
One of my favorite ways to use fresh strawberries is in a fresh baked pie! Toss the strawberries with some sugar and a little lemon and they bake to the most amazing jam-like filling for the rich buttery crust.
If you’ve got a crowd to feed or just want an easier way to make and eat a classic strawberry pie, then this recipe’s for you! It’s simple and oh so scrumptious!
This recipe was created as part of my partnership with Gold Medal Flour however thoughts and opinions are certainly my own!
- 4 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup cold water
- 8 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- zest of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water for egg wash
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter an 18x13-inch rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until coarse crumbles form. Stir in water with a spoon or your hands until a ball of dough forms. Reserve ¼ of the dough for the decorative topping.
- Roll the dough out onto a floured surface the size of the baking sheet. Transfer dough to prepared sheet pan, trim around the edges and flute, if desired.
- In another large bowl, stir together the sliced strawberries, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Pour strawberries evenly into prepared crust.
- Combine excess trimmings and reserved dough. Roll out onto a lightly floured surface and cut into 15 decorative shapes. Place shapes in a pattern over the top of the strawberries. Brush crust edges and decorative shapes with egg wash. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar over the edges and shapes.
- Bake pie on the top rack of the oven for 30 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350°F and bake for another 20 minutes on the middle rack of the oven, until crust is golden and filling is bubbling. Let pie cool on a cooling rack for at least 20 minutes before serving.