How to bake a scrumptious strawberry slab pie that’s simple and perfect for spring and summer enjoyment!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1–1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 8 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- zest of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water for egg wash
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter an 18×13-inch rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until coarse crumbles form. Stir in water with a spoon or your hands until a ball of dough forms. Reserve 1/4 of the dough for the decorative topping.
- Roll the dough out onto a floured surface the size of the baking sheet. Transfer dough to prepared sheet pan, trim around the edges and flute, if desired.
- In another large bowl, stir together the sliced strawberries, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Pour strawberries evenly into prepared crust.
- Combine excess trimmings and reserved dough. Roll out onto a lightly floured surface and cut into 15 decorative shapes. Place shapes in a pattern over the top of the strawberries. Brush crust edges and decorative shapes with egg wash. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar over the edges and shapes.
- Bake pie on the top rack of the oven for 30 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350°F and bake for another 20 minutes on the middle rack of the oven, until crust is golden and filling is bubbling. Let pie cool on a cooling rack for at least 20 minutes before serving.