A brilliant combination of two classics: grilled cheese and hot dogs! A buttery crisp hot dog bun filled with lots of melted cheese and a juicy grilled hot dog. Why choose when you can have both?
I usually don’t ask the kids what they want for dinner because it almost always ends up in them fighting for their favorite. If I just make something, they’ll usually eat it and everyone’s happy.
Well, recently I made what ended up being a very delicious mistake in asking them what they wanted for dinner. Two of them wanted hot dogs and one wanted grilled cheese sandwiches. There was lots of begging and bribing from all of them as I was trying to decide which one to make. Both easy requests, so I can’t really complain, but I wanted everyone to be happy so it just dawned on me to combine the two and see what they thought.
No surprise, but they LOVED them and so did I! What’s not to love about a buttery crisp hot dog bun filled with lots of melted cheese and a juicy grilled hot dog?! So dang delicious…
And so easy to make! You just roll the buns flat and spread the outside with butter. Place the bun, butter side down, on a medium-heated skillet and sprinkle it with shredded cheese. Then you’ll slice a hot dog length-wise so it’s still connected, but will lay flat on the skillet. Place the flat side of the hot dog on the skillet along with the bun and let it grill for a few minutes until it just starts to brown. Transfer the hot dog to one side of the bun and sprinkle it with more shredded cheese. Close up the bun and let continue to grill until all of the cheese is melted.
And that’s all there is to it. Grilled cheesy hot dog goodness that’s so great you’ll never want to go back to a regular grilled cheese or a regular hot dog again.
Served with some ketchup and mustard for dipping and everyone will go crazy for them…
The first time I made these for the boys, they seriously thanked God for them in their prayers that night. Haha! They’re just that good, y’all! ;))
I can’t even count how many times I’ve made them since. Great for a quick weeknight dinner and perfect for game day! Enjoy!
- 6 hot dog buns (I use top sliced buns)
- 6 hot dogs
- 3 cups shredded monterey jack and cheddar cheeses, mixed
- 6 tablespoons soft butter, for brushing buns
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Open and roll each hot dog bun flat with a rolling pin. Spread the outside of each bun with 1 tablespoon butter. Place it on the skillet, butter side down, and sprinkle top evenly with ⅓ cup shredded cheese.
- Slice each hot dog lengthwise to where it's still connected, but will lay flat on the grill. Place hot dog, flat side down, on the grill next to the bun. Grill for 2 minutes on the flat side or until it starts to brown and then flip over and let grill for another minute on the other side. Transfer the hot dog to one side of the bun and sprinkle it with 3 tablespoons shredded cheese.
- Close bun over hot dog and let grill until cheese is completely melted. Serve with ketchup and mustard.