Let’s take a break from baking so I can show you how to fry Funnel Cakes that taste as amazing as the ones you get at the state fair!
Oh, how I love going to the state fair! The games, the rides, the exhibits, the people watching and all the fried goodness! Sure, I usually leave with a bellyache, but it’s totally worth every yummy, greasy bite. Let’s be honest, what doesn’t taste great when it’s deep fried?!
My two favorites at the fair are corn dogs and funnel cakes…the classics! Well, I already shared this yummy Cheesy Corn Dog Casserole that I created as I anxiously await the start of the fair in a few weeks and now it’s time for me to share how I fried up funnel cakes right here at home!
Funnel cakes are so easy and so yummy! What’s not to love about fried sweet dough sprinkled with powdered sugar?!
These funnel cakes are perfect in every way. Sweet and crunchy on the outside while airy and chewy on the inside. Just like what you find at the fair, but something about frying them in my own kitchen made them even better!
Seriously, so easy! It takes about 5 minutes to stir together the batter and then about 5 minutes per funnel cake to fry them into crispy sweet perfection…
These funnel cakes are so fun to make for parties, holidays and game day! With football season and lots of family birthdays quickly approaching, I have a feeling we’ll be frying funnel cakes quite often and that excites me!
Make your own funnel cakes that taste as amazing as the ones you get at the state fair!
- 1–1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- In a large round frying pan, heat oil to 350°F over medium heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Transfer batter to a large resealable plastic bag or a large funnel. If using a plastic bag, snip a small piece off one corner to release the batter into the oil. If using a funnel, keep your finger over the bottom of the funnel until you’re ready to release the batter. In a circular pattern over the hot oil, release the batter into the oil, making sure the batter overlaps and touches so it will stay together as it cooks. Fry funnel cakes for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove to paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.