Make your own funnel cakes that taste as amazing as the ones you get at the state fair!
- 1–1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- In a large round frying pan, heat oil to 350°F over medium heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Transfer batter to a large resealable plastic bag or a large funnel. If using a plastic bag, snip a small piece off one corner to release the batter into the oil. If using a funnel, keep your finger over the bottom of the funnel until you’re ready to release the batter. In a circular pattern over the hot oil, release the batter into the oil, making sure the batter overlaps and touches so it will stay together as it cooks. Fry funnel cakes for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove to paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.