Rich dark chocolate cupcakes are filled with a sweet marshmallow cream and dipped in a dark chocolate ganache for a decadent and dreamy cupcake experience!
We recently spent a week in Houston and had the best time eating our way through that great city! Almost every time we travel, I plan a little bakery tour so I can taste some of the sweetest treats the city has to offer. Houston was super sweet and one of my favorite treats was a dark chocolate marshmallow cream filled cupcake at a popular little cupcake shop. It was so yummy and I’ve been dreaming about it ever since, so of course I had to recreate it!
This rich moist dark chocolate cupcake with its creamy marshmallow filling and dark chocolate ganache will quickly win you over with it’s amazing taste and textures!
They’re so fun to make because as you’re baking and filling and dipping them, all you can think about is the bliss that first bite is going to bring you.
I have no doubt I’m going to be baking and devouring these cupcakes forever more! They’re just too amazing not to crave all the time!
I hope these heavenly cupcakes bring you and your loved ones lots of sweet happiness!
Enjoy the experience!
This recipe was created as part of my partnership with Gold Medal Flour however thoughts and opinions are certainly my own!
- 2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- ½ cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream Filling:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 (7 ounce) container marshmallow creme
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup cupcake pan with liners and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- , In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared cupcake liners, filling each one almost full.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until cupcakes have risen and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, use a sharp knife to cut a small circle out of the center of each cupcake. Remove the middle piece of the cupcake, saving the very top to put back on after the cupcakes have been filled with the cream.
- To prepare the cream filling, place the butter and powdered sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk on low speed until combined and then on high speed until it starts to fluff. Add the marshmallow creme and beat on high speed again for about 5 minutes until smooth and fluffy. Transfer filling to a resealable plastic bag and cut off a small portion of one corner so you can squeeze the filling into the center of each cupcake. Fill the hole in each cupcake almost to the top. Trim the excess cake from the center piece you removed and replace the very top to cover the cream filling.
- For the ganache, place the chocolate chips and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on low power until just melted, about 1 minute. Whisk until completely melted and then whisk in the heavy cream until smooth. Let cool for a few minutes. If the ganache is too thick to dip the cupcakes into, whisk in a little more heavy cream.
- Dip the top of each cupcake into and out of the ganache a few times until completely coated. Use a knife to smooth the ganache onto the top of the cupcake, if necessary. Place back on the cooling rack to let the ganache set. Repeat with all cupcakes. Garnish the tops of each cupcake with the remaining cream filling, if desired.