These rich and hearty Coconuty Dark Chocolate Granola bars are perfect for a quick breakfast, an afternoon pick-me-up or a late night treat.
If you know me or you’ve been following me on Instagram, you know that I love baking homemade granola bars! I bake a batch almost every week for us to enjoy for breakfast, snacks or dessert. We can’t get enough of them!
I became obsessed with homemade granola bars when I was in college (Boomer Sooner!) and would go to this cute little café on Campus Corner to study. Okay, I say I was going there to study, but really I was just going to get one of their amazing homemade granola bars! I became addicted and would buy a whole batch of them every week so I could have a stash at home to eat late at night (and sometimes share with my roomies!). I remember it like it was yesterday, but when I think about, it was a long long time ago! Yikes, I’m getting old! 😉
Well, when I was about to graduate, I braved up the nerve to ask the baker for his recipe because I was moving and couldn’t imagine life without these granola bars. He gladly wrote it on the napkin I was using at the time and from that day on, I’ve been baking them and tweaking the recipe to make it my own.
I’m excited to start sharing all of my different granola bar creations with you! And if you have flavor ideas or requests, just send them my way!
Today’s version is one my absolute favorites! They are exploding with flavor and texture! They’re chewy, crunchy, and chocolatey with lots of nutty flavor from the peanut butter, nuts and coconut. Oh so dreamy!
They’re rather rich and loaded with hearty ingredients so a small square goes a long way and is completely satisfying for a quick breakfast, an afternoon pick-me-up or a late night treat. I love eating one after an intense workout or a brisk walk and they’re perfect to pack for a long hike or an overnight camping trip. They’re all-around amazing!
So join me in my granola bar obsession and bake a batch today! You’ll love ‘em!
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 cup coconut oil (softened then measured)
- 1 cup honey
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups granola (I used Cascadian Farm’s Dark Chocolate Almond Granola)
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups chopped mixed nuts & seeds (I used a mix of pecans, walnuts, pistachios, almonds & sunflower seeds)
- 1-1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1-1/4 cups shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the peanut butter, coconut oil, honey, brown sugar and cinnamon. Add the granola and oats and mix on low until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the chopped nuts, seeds, dark chocolate chips and coconut. Reserve 1 cup of this mixture to sprinkle on top of the bars before baking. Add the rest to the mixer and beat on low until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with the reserved 1 cup (nut/seed/chocolate chip/coconut) mixture. Bake for 30-35 minutes for until bars are browned and crisp around the edge, set in the middle, and the coconut is lightly toasted on top.
- Cool for at least 2 hours before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.