Breakfast at its best with this buttery biscuit pot pie that’s filled with sausage, eggs & peppers!
I used to not be a big breakfast eater! What was I thinking? Prior to kiddos, I’d just grab a bar and a banana and think ahead to lunch! Well, with lots of hungry boys in the house, breakfast has become a much bigger deal. It’s definitely the biggest meal of the day for the boys because they’ve usually been sleeping for 12+ hours and I can only imagine how ravenous they must be when they wake! I don’t think I’ve ever gone 12 hours without food, so like I said, I can only imagine! 😉
Just like dinner, I like to have a good collection of go-to breakfast ideas for the week. One morning it’s pancakes, sometimes it’s waffles, another it’s parfaits or oatmeal, then maybe eggs & bacon or sausage with some buttery biscuits. Lots of yummy options to kick-start our day!
I came up with this easy and delicious breakfast pot pie one morning when we had guest in town and I didn’t want to be flipping pancakes or frying eggs to order while everyone else was sipping their coffee around the table. So I got up a little earlier and prepared the pot pie so all it had to do was bake while we started to caffeinate!
It turned out great and everyone really enjoyed it! I’ve made it several times since (once even for dinner!) and we’ve gobbled it up every time!
I love serving it with a little maple syrup for a touch of sweetness that just sends it into breakfast bliss!
What’s not to love about buttery buttermilk biscuits baked on top of sausage and eggs and peppers?! Let me show you how simple it is to bake!
You’ll prepare the biscuit batter and then the sausage mixture separately before combining them in a pie plate and baking to pot pie perfection!
How great would this be on your breakfast table any morning of the week?! You and you’re family are bound to love it!
This recipe was created as part of my partnership with Gold Medal Flour however thoughts and opinions are certainly my own!
- 2 cups Gold Medal® self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup shortening or butter, softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) sausage roll
- 8 large eggs
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a standard pie plate with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and pepper. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or two knives until coarse crumbs form. Fold in the cheese until it is completely coated in the flour mixture. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the maple syrup and buttermilk. Stir with a spoon until well combined.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the peppers and cook for about 5 minutes before adding the sausage. Continue to cook until the sausage is browned completely. Add the eggs and stir constantly while they scramble with the sausage/pepper mixture. Season with salt and pepper then stir in the cheese. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pie dish.
- Place large scoops of biscuit batter evenly over the sausage mixture. Bake for 30 minutes or until the biscuits start to turn golden brown.