Baby’s favorite foods baked into little Baby Food Oatmeal Bites that they can easily feed themselves.
I can’t believe Brookie is already eating “real” food! She’s been eating for 2 months now and she loves it…
She could care less about her bottle anymore. She’s all about the food. She caught on to feeding herself so quickly (much quicker than her brothers did). We’ve done baby-led weaning with all our babies now and have had such great experiences. All of them have been awesome eaters. They gain so much confidence and pride once they get the hang of feeding themselves and it makes mealtime so much easier and enjoyable for all.
Brookie will eat anything we put in front of her, but her favorite foods so far are baked sweet potato wedges, bananas, steamed broccoli, baked apple slices, peanut butter sandwiches, pancakes and these baby food oatmeal bites…
Girlfriend can take ’em down! She loves them! They’re so easy to make and full of healthy foods that she should be eating but that are hard for her to feed herself (since we don’t spoon-feed her) unless they’re baked into these little bites.
Oatmeal, pumpkin, applesauce, banana and avocado all come together in these yummy bite-sized muffins. Brookie will eat a few for breakfast and sometimes a few for lunch or as a snack throughout the day giving her good energy to play but also keeping her belly full for a good long nap.
She’s gotten so great at eating them and makes less of a mess every time. I’ve come to embrace the meal-time mess for a few months when they’re first learning to feed themselves knowing that once they get the hang of it, it’s so awesome!
So if you’re looking for something to bake for your baby that’s nutritious and delicious, these bites are so great. They’re easy to bake, made of simple healthy ingredients that your baby is probably already eating, and are the perfect size for them to feed themselves.
I’ll usually bake a batch at the beginning of the week to keep in the refrigerator so she has plenty to eat throughout the week. You can easily substitute your baby’s favorite pureed or mashed foods for the pumpkin, applesauce, banana and/or avocado. I’d recommend leaving the banana and applesauce for natural sweetness though.
I hope your little love(s) enjoys them as much as Brookie does…
Baby’s favorite foods baked into little oatmeal bites that they can easily feed themselves.
- 2–1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup pure pumpkin
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large banana, mashed (about ½ cup)
- 1 medium avocado, mashed (about ½ cup)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a mini muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Make a well in the center and add the pumpkin, applesauce, mashed banana and mashed avocado. Stir until well combined.
- Scoop batter evenly among the 24 mini muffin cups, filling each one completely full. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until set. Avoid over-baking them. You don’t want the tops to be too crisp or browned. They should be set and soft enough for your baby to easily eat.
- Let the bites cool in the pan for at least 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
To freeze, place cooled bites on a cookie sheet and freeze for about an hour. Then transfer them to an airtight bag or container and store in the freezer. When you’re ready to give them to your baby, remove however many you want and let them thaw at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.