Let me show you how easy it is to make your own ice cream sandwiches so you can stock your freezer with tasty treats all summer long!
The official start of summer is still a few weeks away, but in Dallas, the heat is here and I have feeling it’s here to stay! I love summertime, but it gets hot and we’re always looking for ways to cool ourselves off!
We already consume a ton of ice cream as it is, but during the summer, we eat it almost every day! Whether we’re licking it off a cone, spooning it out of a bowl, sipping it with a straw or eating it sandwiched between two chewy cookies, it’s a summer staple that we just can’t get enough of!
Memorial Day is usually our summer kick-off and that means the next several months are spent in the backyard swimming and swinging the days away! So this past weekend, on Memorial Day, I made these yummy homemade ice cream sandwiches for us to enjoy and stock our freezer with for weeks to come.
Creamy chocolate chip ice cream is sandwiched between two chewy chocolate cookies for a simple yet irresistible hand-held frozen treat! They’re easy to make, fun to eat, and are the perfect poolside treat!
One blissful bite will have you begging for more!
The great thing about this recipe is that it makes several so you can serve a crowd or stock your freezer for treats all summer long!
Once you make them for your family and friends, there’s no going back to the store-bought version because the homemade taste and texture will blow them away! They’ll be asking you to make them again and again!
This recipe was created as part of my partnership with Gold Medal Flour however thoughts and opinions are certainly my own!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ gallon (8 cups) home-style vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two (18x13-inch) rimmed baking sheets with foil and spray generously with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large microwavable bowl, melt the butter and chocolate chips, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth. Let cool slightly. Whisk in the sugar then the eggs and vanilla until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add to the chocolate mixture, stirring until thick and smooth.
- Divide the dough in half and press each half into the bottom of the prepared baking sheets. The dough should be thin and cover the bottom of the pan completely.
- Bake for 10 minutes, rotating the sheets half way through. Let the baking sheets cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes and then put them in the freezer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the ice cream on low speed in an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Once the cookie sheets have frozen for 15 minutes, remove and spread one cookie completely and evenly with the ice cream. Lift the other cookie from the pan with the sides of the foil. Flip the cookie over onto the ice cream layer of the other cookie sheet and press down gently. Remove the foil from the cookie that is now the top layer. Tent the cookie sheet with another piece of foil and return to the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- To cut the ice cream sandwiches, lift them from the cookie sheet with the foil and place on a flat work surface. With a sharp knife, cut into rectangles measuring about 2.25 x 4-inches in size. You should get 21 ice cream sandwiches total.
- Serve immediately or wrap each sandwich tightly with plastic wrap and return to the freezer until ready to serve.