Start your day the right way with these fluffy, protein-packed pancakes that are easy to make and taste so great!
I never really paid too much attention to how much protein I was eating until I got pregnant with our first. I had heard and read a lot about how eating protein is so important to the growth of the baby and a healthy pregnancy, so I aimed to eat 100 grams a day with my single pregnancies and then 150+ grams a day when I was pregnant with the twins. I was protein-obsessed and I truly believe all that protein helped me feel great throughout each pregnancy and grow healthy full-term babies.
Well, I’m no longer protein-obsessed for pregnancy purposes, but I do try to eat a lot of good protein each and every day to keep my energy high and my body feeling great. I can totally tell if I haven’t eaten enough protein when I start feeling sluggish and sleepy.
About 5 months ago, I started exercising regularly again. I try to go to the gym 4-5 mornings a week and it’s become a great routine for Brookie and me. She gets to play with other kids in the child watch area and I get a good workout in. I started out just walking and doing a few strength training exercises and now I’m running, sweating it out on the stairclimber or going to one of my favorite classes, like Piloxing or BodyPump. I’ve upped the intensity of my workouts and I’m feeling fit and full of energy!
The more intense my workouts, the more hungry I am. And when it comes to satisfying that hunger, I’m eating a lot of protein. Not just after a workout, but all day. I’m not a huge fan of protein bars or protein shakes so I try to eat foods that are naturally high in protein, like meats, beans, nuts, dairy and eggs. And when I can combine some of these protein-rich foods together to make something yummy that’s packed with protein, it’s a win-win…
These pancakes are just that!
They’re packed with 5 protein-rich foods: cottage cheese, eggs, milk, peanut butter and oatmeal…
They’re easy to make by just blending those 5 ingredients in the blender to make a slightly lumpy batter that you’ll cook on a hot griddle into fluffy pancakes…
They’re healthy and they’ll make your belly and body feel happy!
I love spreading mine with more peanut butter or I’ll drizzle melted peanut butter over them, but a dab of butter and a drizzle of maple syrup tastes pretty great too!
We all love these pancakes! I make them at least twice a week for breakfast and I love it when I have a few leftover for a post-workout snack. They’re nutritious and delicious.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until well combined. Batter should be smooth with a few lumps.
- Heat a non-stick griddle over medium-high heat. Coat with non-stick cooking spray before each batch. Using a ladle or ¼-cup measuring cup, scoop batter onto heated griddle in small circles. Cook until batter starts to bubble a bit on top and the bottom is evenly browned. Flip and cook until both sides are lightly browned. Remove to a baking sheet and place baking sheet in a warm oven while you cook the rest of the batter.
- Serve warm with peanut butter, butter and/or maple syrup.