Rich, fudgy brownies made healthier with sweet potato and whole wheat flour. You’d never believe there’s no butter, oil, white or brown sugar in them.
I’m always looking for ways to make my favorite sweet treats a little healthier given how much I love eating them. And I find it to be a fun challenge trying to make something that’s supposed to be indulgent still taste incredible without all the fat and sugar. Sometimes it’s a complete fail and I end up throwing it in the trash, but a lot of the time it turns out great and can be enjoyed guilt-free.
Believe it or not, these brownies are pretty healthy! Two cups of mashed sweet potato give them great texture, moisture and natural sweetness. The dark chocolate, honey and cinnamon compliment the sweet potato perfectly to create a brownie that’s rich, fudgy, gooey, sweet and oh so scrumptious!
I’ve only used fresh baked sweet potatoes when baking these brownies, but you could certainly use a can of pure sweet potato if you’re pressed for time. I just bake a few extra potatoes when we’re having sweet potatoes with dinner and mash them up to go in a batch of brownies for dessert. M’m! M’m!
The brownies actually get sweeter over time as the natural sweetness from the sweet potato intensifies. Yummy yum!
Whether it’s dessert, a mid-day snack or even a special treat with breakfast or brunch, these brownies are pure bliss. Everyone loves them and has a hard time believing me when I tell them they’re made with sweet potato and whole wheat flour.
This recipe was created as part of my partnership with Gold Medal Flour however thoughts and opinions are certainly my own!
- 1 cup Gold Medal™ whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pure honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed sweet potato
- Bake two large sweet potatoes at 400°F for about 60 minutes or until tender when poked with a fork. Let cool completely and then peel off the skin and thoroughly mash the flesh. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and then whisk in the honey and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in the sweet potato.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before cutting and serving.
Store in an airtight container or in the baking dish covered tightly in plastic wrap.